Gambling is all fun and games, until…
- Published on March 06, 2015
Gambling is not all fun and games for many. Once they start to borrow money; lie about how much money they gamble and how often they gamble, steal and cause hurt friends and family—problem gambling has replaced the fun. ...
Substance Abuse and Brain Awareness
- Published on March 04, 2015
Since March is Substance Abuse and Brain Awareness month, the feature article will focus on the effects of substances on the adolescent brain. While drugs can negatively affect anyone who uses them, it has become increasingly clear that these substances have a more substantial impact on adolescents. ...
Honoring Prevention’s African American Heroes
- Published on February 12, 2015
During Black History month it is appropriate to recognize outstanding colleagues in the field of prevention. Of the many African-American prevention professionals, this short piece will single out four individuals with whom the author has had the pleasure and privilege to work over an extended period, ...
Children of Alcoholics
- Published on February 01, 2015
February is Children of Alcoholics (COA) Awareness Month; therefore, this article will explore the challenges associated with these affected children and ways to assist them and their families. While COAs include young people and adults of alcoholics, this article specifically focuses on the young people who are COAs. ...
The Effects of Other Substances on the Fetus
- Published on January 13, 2015
January is Fetal Impact of Substance Abuse Awareness Month. The first article focused on alcohol use during pregnancy and the Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) which can result from it. ...
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- December is Drunk and Drugged Driving Prevention Month
- Suicide, a National and Local Problem
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, Part 2: Acculturation and Associated Risk and Protective Factors
- November is Tobacco Awareness Month
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, Part 1: Getting to Know You ...
- October is National Substance Abuse Prevention Month
- September 2014 is Recovery Month: Speak Up, Reach Out
- Trending Drugs - What's on Our Radar?
- Where Are You on the Spectrum from Harmless to Harmful? - April is Alcohol Awareness Month