September 2014 is Recovery Month: Speak Up, Reach Out
- Published on August 28, 2014
SAMHSA's first celebration of September as "Recovery Month" was 25 years ago, in 1989 and was referred to as TreatmentWorks! Every year since then, SAMHSA has worked with local treatment and recovery organizations to raise awareness about recovery. Activities target professionals who work with people in recovery, family and friends, and the recovering addicts themselves. ...
Trending Drugs - What's on Our Radar?
- Published on May 09, 2014
- DMT-A psychedelic gaining popularity
- Moxduo-A powerful new pain pill
- Palcohol-Alcohol in powder form
Where Are You on the Spectrum from Harmless to Harmful? - April is Alcohol Awareness Month
- Published on April 23, 2014
It is not a crime to drink alcohol. In fact, it can be good for your health. At the same time, alcohol is the second most abused drug, after tobacco. Some good news is that the 2013 ATOD survey found decreasing lifetime use of alcohol in grades 6-8, and monthly and lifetime use in grades 9-12 ...
Indiana I-SAS Project: Affordable treatment for ages 12-18 struggling with drug or alcohol abuse
- Published on April 08, 2014
Indiana-Substance Abuse Solutions (I-SAS) is a federally funded, locally managed, program for adolescents who are in need of substance abuse treatment but may not be able to afford it. I-SAS uses a new therapy model that recognizes that alcohol and drug use is about reinforcers-rewarding feelings that make us more likely to repeat actions. ...
The Rise of Electronic Cigarettes
- Published on March 25, 2014
Electronic cigarettes are devices that provide doses of nicotine and other additives to users in a vapor form, often battery powered. Also called e-cigarettes (e-cig), personal vaporizers (PV) or electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS), they often simulate tobacco smoking without the inclusion of tobacco. ...
- March 16-22: National Inhalants and Poison Awareness Week, 2014
- Despite increased safety efforts, school shootings continue to happen
- “Molly” – An innocuous nickname hides potential danger
- The Future of Mental Health Specialists: Robotic Counseling
- IPRC, 25 Years: Much has changed and much has not
- Alcohol Awareness Month: How IU is Changing the Drinking Culture
- Celebrating 25th anniversary of IPRC
- Problem Gambling a Community Concern
- Teaching Resilience: A New Approach to Bullying