- Published on April 05, 2015
Alcohol is a legal drug and one that has long been accepted and part of our society. Though it is legal for persons ages 21 and above, it is still a drug with the potential for risk and harm. For example, 31% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States are due to alcohol-impaired drivers ...
E-Cigarettes, a Delivery System for Unknown Drugs
- Published on March 30, 2015
In December, a student at the Indiana University Purdue University campus reported being incapacitated and sexually assaulted after smoking an e-cigarette. The student reported that the e-cigarette contained an unknown substance. ...
Gambling is all fun and games, until…
- Published on March 06, 2015
Gambling is not all fun and games for many. Once they start to borrow money; lie about how much money they gamble and how often they gamble, steal and cause hurt friends and family—problem gambling has replaced the fun. ...
Substance Abuse and Brain Awareness
- Published on March 04, 2015
Since March is Substance Abuse and Brain Awareness month, the feature article will focus on the effects of substances on the adolescent brain. While drugs can negatively affect anyone who uses them, it has become increasingly clear that these substances have a more substantial impact on adolescents. ...
Honoring Prevention’s African American Heroes
- Published on February 12, 2015
During Black History month it is appropriate to recognize outstanding colleagues in the field of prevention. Of the many African-American prevention professionals, this short piece will single out four individuals with whom the author has had the pleasure and privilege to work over an extended period, ...
- Children of Alcoholics
- The Effects of Other Substances on the Fetus
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- December is Drunk and Drugged Driving Prevention Month
- Suicide, a National and Local Problem
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, Part 2: Acculturation and Associated Risk and Protective Factors
- November is Tobacco Awareness Month
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, Part 1: Getting to Know You ...
- October is National Substance Abuse Prevention Month
- September 2014 is Recovery Month: Speak Up, Reach Out